Friday, March 10, 2006

Martha=Karen?

Earlier I wrote about the fact that it appeared that the character of Los Angeles Times reporter Martha Moyer (based on Sorkin ex-girlfriend Maureen Dowd) was rumored to be no longer a character appearing in the pilot. While this remains true, it appears that the character of Martha Moyer is essentially remaining, but she is now named Karen (Last Named Unknown.) Whether she's a reporter is unknown, since the sides in which her name appears don't include references to her job. But judging by the sides, Karen is, essentially, Martha. They have the same lines and are in the same situation as Martha was (At the Writer's Guild Awards with Matt and Danny as Danny's date and questioning Matt as to what happened with him and Harriet)

So, it looks like instead of the character missing, we merely have the fourth significant name change on the show. Following UBS to NBS, Jamie McDeere to Jordan McDeere and Danny Moore to Danny Tripp. How do you feel about this one?

Comments:
I like the alliterative names, but you're right there are a bunch. Sorkin certainly uses them a lot.
 
This charactcer kind of has a Mandy or Mallory (1st season West Wing) vibe about her. Someone who Sorkin finds interesting, but will end up leaving and maybe returning once or twice a season.
 
Maybe Mallory. But Mandy? Mandy doesn't fit that description. She was a main character and Sorkin ended up not liking her just as no one else did so he wrote her out.
 
'Karen' is definetely an improvement over Martha. However, both of those names remind me of a grandma...they just feel a little too old for the character. It's not the right generation, I think.
 
Karen seems like a very young name. Lol, that might just be because every Karen I know is hot.

Martha, I'm with you on, but I kinda liked it. Harriet's the same way.
 
I think I prefer Martha, actually. A little closer to Maureen (well, a lot closer) and that's been a little in-joke that amused me. Karen doesn't seem right, honestly. A little too immature, a little too young. But I guess a lot of this is who you know that has the name...
 
I think I prefer Martha, actually. A little closer to Maureen (well, a lot closer) and that's been a little in-joke that amused me. Karen doesn't seem right, honestly. A little too immature, a little too young. But I guess a lot of this is who you know that has the name...
 
Man. Karen is among the youngest seeming names I know of. Weird how we could have such different conontations for a name.

I've never heard of a Karen (in real life or in a work of fiction) older than like... 25
 
Is that really possible?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?