Monday, February 20, 2006

A Third Term for the West Wingers?


What with Timothy Busfield (Cal and The West Wing's Danny Concannon) and Matthew Perry (Matt and The West Wing's Joe Quincy) already cast, Bradley Whitford (The West Wing's Josh Lyman) being in heavy talks for a role on the show, most likely Danny, and with Sorkin's penchant for reusing actors [see Joshua Malina, the entire filmography of. ;) ] There is some concern that the show will be overblown with West Wing actors. Now, The West Wing is my favorite TV show of all time (the next best show, Seinfeld, being significantly behind it, too) I can't say I'd be miserable if the likes of Allison Janney, Richard Schiff, Janel Moloney, Dule Hill or, hell, even Martin Sheen showed up. All of these fine actors are either Emmy-winning or Emmy-nominated, specifically for their roles on that show so obviously they got some chops. But, the concern is, of course, that it will just be "The West Wing Goes Hollywood."

Currently there's little danger in that happening, the only Wingers on the show now are Timothy Busfield (who, admittedly is probably best known for his frequently recurring role of Danny Concannon.) and Matthew Perry, who, obviously, is most well known to television audiences as Chandler Bing, and will most likely need to shed that persona, not that of Joe Quincy (although, he has been nominated for more Emmys for his three-episode role in the West Wing than he has for his ten years on Friends. So, maybe we should be looking more at Joe Quincy for our view on Matt Perry's work.) However if Whitford is cast as Danny Moore (something I've got my fingers crossed for) then this will shorten the likliehood of us seeing many more Wingers on the show (although, obviously, Josh Malina's going to show up *sometime*)

Is this good, bad, none of the above [sorry, Sam, you're right, none of the above is a pedestrian phrase which has no place there ;)] feel free to share!

Comments:
Wow. Matt Perry recieved more Emmy nominations for Joe Quincy than Chandler Bing? I guess (since he could only have recieved two for Quincy) he only got one for Friends? Wow. Impressive.
 
Yeah, you're right jff, he got a nomination in 2003 and 2004 for playing Joe Quincy in both Season 4 and 5, and he got one in 2002 for playing Chandler on Friends. So, the Emmy Awards people apparently like him as Joe more than Chandler.

Hey hippo, you mentioned the top three main characters... I'm assuming that's Jed, Leo and Josh? Just... making sure. I always find it interesting who other people find to be the most important characters on a show.
 
Yeah, I'd say Matthew Perry was probably the second best on Friends (after the amazing Lisa Kudrow. Hey! Let's give her a role on S60, or will that be 'Friends Goes Hollywood'?) but yeah, I honestly like him better as Joe, not that I don't adore Chandler. Joe was the only Republican on the show who never irritated me (yes, at times, I found Ainsley Hayes' charm and good looks didn't outweigh her conservatism)

As for Jed, C.J. and Josh... yeah, I probably agree. Leo hasn't been all that important since his heart attack unfortunately, *sigh* unfortunately his big VP plotline is being cut short.
 
And just for completeness, but it doesn't count at all obviously, Carlos Jacott was one of the 2 guys pitching the New Hampshire slogans etc to Jed, as Governor, in Bartlet for America
 
Haha! Funny you say that, I just noticed that myself yesterday. I was watching that episode and noticed in the guest stars Carlos Jacott was listed, and I recognized the name as someone from S60. I kept my eyes pealed and, yeah, found him in that opening scene. He's also Ramon the pool boy from Seinfeld. I guess I didn't notice 'cause the squirrely balding red-haired of the pair talking about snowmobiling talked much more.
 
Tim Busfield is still best known for Thirtysomething, isn't he?
 
I've never seen thirtysomething, and with all the time that's past I think Danny Concannon might have overshadowed his thirtysomething character. On wikipedia's Studio 60 article it says:

"Busfield is best known for his role as Danny Concannon in Sorkin's famed drama The West Wing, but is also know to audiences from his role on thirtysomething and as Kevin Costner's brother-in-law in Field Of Dreams."

on Timothy Busfield's specific page it says he's best known:

"for his Emmy-winning role as Eliot Weston on the television series thirtysomething and his recurring role as Danny Concannon on the television series The West Wing"

So, yeah, looks like it's a tie between Eliot and Danny.
 
Oh, and I'll also note that Danny Concannon is the only character of the two to have his own wikipedia article, Eliot does not.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?